Friday, September 9, 2011

SAYONARA DOLL Translation


This song reminds me of feelings I've never had, and it engages me in ways I don't know how to comprehend. It's such a simple song, yet it has a great beauty to it enhanced by the imagery of the lyrics and the nostalgic background vocals.


SAYONARA DOLL
MONGOL800
ETC Works 2


夢を見ていた
長い長い夢を
昔々この島で
君と出会い恋に落ちた

まるでロミオとジュリエット
許されない恋
二人は愛を育む
争いをよそに

不条理な現実
言葉も国境も
壁という壁を
愛は越えた

争いは金を生み
悲しみや憎しみだけが残る
弱い者を盾に槍をつく
平和を餌に蠅が集る

忘れないでこの島を この海を
いつの世も いついつまでも

忘れないであの唄を 約束を
いつかまた出会える日まで
いつの世も いついつ いつまでも

夢を見ていた
長い長い夢を


SAYONARA DOLL
Mongoru Happyaku
ETC Works 2


Yume wo miteita
Nagai nagai yume wo
Mukashi mukashi kono shima de
Kimi to deai koi ni ochita

Marude ROMIO to JURIETTO
Yurusarenai koi
Futari ha ai wo hakugumu
Arasoi wo yoso ni

Fujorin na genjitsu
Kotobo mo kokkyou mo
Kabe to iu kabe wo
Ai ha koeta

Arasoi ha kane wo umi
Kanashimi ya nikushimi dake ga nokoru

Yowaii mono wo tate ni yari wo tsuku
Heiwa wo e ni hae ga takaru

Wasurenai de kono shima wo Kono umi wo
Itsu no yo mo Itsuitsu mademo

Wasurenaide ano uta wo Yakusoku wo
Itsu ka mada deaeru hi made
Itsu no yo mo Itsuitsu Itsumademo

Yume wo miteita
Nagai nagai yume wo

SAYONARA DOLL
MONGOL800

ETC Works 2

I’m dreaming
a long, long dream
of that far away time on that island
where I met you and fell in love.

We’re like Romeo and Juliet,
Our love could not be allowed
We let our love grow (1)
we’ll be indifferent to the struggle (2).

This absurd reality
of words and borders.
That wall,
our love climbed.
We struggled to get money,
and all we were left was sadness and hatred.
The weak take up their spear and shield,
and peace baits flies.
Don’t forget this island, or this sea
never, until the end of time (3)
Don’t forget this song, or our promise
until that day we can meet again
don’t ever forget, ever(4)
I dreamed a dream
It was a long, long dream.


Translation Annotations:


1. Hakugumu means to raise something, or cultivate like one cultivates talent, or a plant. I had trouble finding an English equivalent for some reason.
2. I’m not so sure of this one. I mean, I know that arasoi means struggle, but the yoso worries me. Since I not familiar with the word, I think I may have made a mistake in the translation. It is that, or it’s an Okinawan word that I do not know.
1. Ok… this doesn’t translate well, so I’ll explain it. He is trying to emphasize at what point it’s okay to forget the island and whatnot, but we don't really have words for itsumademo. The first line translates something like… never in this generation, and never until an unspecified that time that is far off. Not really beautiful, eh?
3. Same words as 1, I just translated them different to get the point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment