Monday, May 23, 2011

Kachaashii (Katcharsee)

So, this has very little to do with MONGOL800, but I'd thought I'd share it anyway. I do this mostly because MONGOL800 is very proud of its Okinawan roots, so I'd thought I give some insight into the culture while I'm working on translations.

I was researching how to do the Kachaashii (カチャーシー), and I found these great videos! I still don't know much about the dance, other than its danced at special events like victory celebrations and weddings.

Anyway, these three videos are very helpful to understanding the dance. I'm not going to translate the whole thing, needless to say (there are still lots of Monpachi songs to get to!) but, I'll point out the important bits so you can follow along and learn by mimicing.

FOR WOMEN:




The reporter confesses that even though she's from Okinawa, she doesn't now how to dance it! So, the teacher begins to show her by beginning with the feet. What's important about the dance is that there is a bounce in your step.

The next important part is that your hands most fall in to place at the end of the movement. When twisting your hands to go the other way, you must make your index finger and thumb form a circle and release as you sweep your hands the other way.




Here, the instructor demonstrates the different ways to incorporate your feet. There is nothing very specific about the pattern, and you can improvise between fast and slow steps all you want.

FOR MEN:



This is the men's version. Unlike the women's version, where palms are open, men must curl their hands into fists. They also have a more pronounced bounce in their dance steps. There really isn't more more to say other than WHY DO THEY GET IT EASIER?

No comments:

Post a Comment